Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 November 2013

In Remembrance ....

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam

I'm sure we all know the lines, "They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old....", but, in honour of Remembrance Sunday here in the United Kingdom, I thought I would post the poem in its entirety. 

The poem is entitled "For The Fallen" by Laurence Binyon and was written to honour the fallen of the First World War. 

Both my grandad and hubby's grandad were killed in that War, so it is always relevant to us at this time of the year. 

10 comments:

rainbow said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL POEM for our Gallant Fallen HEROS. Thank you for sharing as we honor our Military (the Fallen and our Brave Veterans) THANK YOU and YOUR FAMILYS, we owe you a lot!!!

Claudia Moser said...

We must never forget

Shady Del Knight said...

Hallo, dear Thisisme! Thank you for posting this poem remembering the fallen of WWI. I share with you a silent prayer as you and your husband remember your grandfathers who made the ultimate sacrifice in that conflict. As you know your Remembrance Day coincides with our Veterans Day which honors the men and women who have served in the armed services of the United States.

I hope Emma is feeling much better today, dear friend.

Hugs and smooches!

Grammy Goodwill said...

Thank you for this reminder.

Shelly said...

I am always, forever grateful to those who lay down their lives in defense of freedom. I'm so glad you posted the poem in its entirety. Well worth the read~

BB said...

Being as my Dad served in WWII, he made sure we kids understood and appreciated veterans and those who died for our country. Beautiful words to that poem! Xx

Montanagirl said...

Wonderful Poem! I am in remembrance.

Unknown said...

What a nice poem! Have a great day my friend :)

Eva

Denise said...

Your Remembrance Day and Our Veterans Day are close together, I wonder if that was set on purpose.I bet it was.So sad and touching as You both remember Your Grandfathers.I love the poem and never heard it before-Thank You Denise

romance-of-roses said...

What a beautiful poem.So sorry about your granddads. We were in remembrance today since hubby also went to war. Thank you for the poem. Hugs...Lu