Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 February 2018

A Trip To The Movies ....

For some reason, Sunday seems to be the day that I write my Blog Posts at the moment, so here I am again!  I hope you’ve all had a good week.  



I’ve seen two excellent films recently, both of which I can highly recommend. The first one being ‘The Darkest Hour’ with that excellent actor, Gary Oldman, playing the part of Winston Churchill.  Sir Winston certainly had a way with words, and that is why his speeches invigorated our Nation.  I was only made aware a couple of days ago that he helped to write the speech for the Abdication of Edward viii ....’......I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King.... without the help and support of the woman I love.’

Going back to Sir Winston, who could ever forget the words ....

     ‘We shall defend our Island whatever the cost may be.  We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight 
                                                   in the  fields and in the streets.  We shall fight in the hills;  we will never surrender.’

I realise that a lot of this is pure rhetoric , and some people reading this might not agree with the sentiments, but don’t forget, this was a different time.  This was the situation we were in, when we were in real danger of being invaded at any time.  



Anyway, on to the second film, which is The Post, starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.  Meryl plays the part of Kay Graham, Publisher of The Washington Post.  Her father left the paper to her husband, but when he died, Kay has to take over the reins, and she is quite uncertain about fulfilling this role.  In fact, the Editor of the paper, Tom Hanks, certainly treats her with disdain at the start of the film, but it is very interesting to watch her character evolve as the film progresses, and she really does come into her own by the end of the film.  

The story is based on The Washington Post as it struggles to uncover the unpalatable truth behind the Vietnam War, and the cover up that occurs with the truth being withheld from the American people.  A cover up that, in fact, spanned the Terms of four U.S. Presidents.  It did make me wonder whether we can trust any Government. I’m sure there is so much that goes on without the general public being aware of it! 



On a lighter note, I am delighted to say that we have some dry, bright weather here in heavenly Devon (at last) and I actually worked in the garden for a couple of hours yesterday morning!  That felt good, I can tell you.  




Well, I think that’s about it for today, but I will leave you with another quotation.  This one, along with the Sunday quote at the start of this Post, is courtesy of Pinterest.com. Bye for now. 













4 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I have not been to the movies in years, and rarely have time to watch a movie

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Jo-Anne. Hope all is well with you. I enjoy going to the cinema, and there are some good films out there at the moment. Im sure you’re too busy with your family!

Suzanne said...

Gosh, I cannot imagine Gary Oldman as Winston Chuchill...but what a picture of him you posted! He is a great actor, such an able character personator! I don't know all about Winston Churchill, but he is highly admired to this day and I enjoyed hearing a bit about him. It is true, we were always willing to fight on land, streets and even at sea for our families and freedoms. Wars today seem so senseless, as though there are just mean people who are selfish over land and money, and want to hurt anyone they deem to be in their paths.

The movie "The Post" was nominated in quite a few categories for Golden Globe awards: Best actress and actor, best film, screenplay and director. They didn't win any awards, but they won plenty of praise and acclaim. This movie sounds pretty powerful and I hope to see it eventually.

Well, Thisisme, your movie time really paid off. I haven't been to a movie in quite a few years. I loved your garden photos and the happy photo of you! I'm so glad you got to spend some quality time outdoors getting ready for your lovely spring showing. I've done a small bit of pruning and hope to get more done this year! Today it is only 24 degrees, haha! But I still love the cool weather.

Have a wonderful week, dear friend-hugs to you!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi there Suzanne. I can always rely on you to pop across from Texas and leave a comment! Thank you. I love going to the movies with a friend, and once you start going, you watch the Reviews of upcoming films, and think, oh, that one looks good! I don’t go go often during the Summer months though. I think both those films were up for quite a few Awards. I do agree with you that wars do seem so senseless. But there you go, we don’t have much say in these things! I hope your week is going well. Hugs my friend.