Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 June 2017

The Bigger Picture....

Hello again to you on this last Sunday in June.  I'm pleased to say that the heatwave we had here is over, and we're back to the cooler temperatures that we're used to. It was fine for a couple of days, but then it got a bit too much for me, I must admit, although I'm sure there were others that were loving the hot temperatures, especially the lovely Summer evenings that came with it, where you could stay outside until dusk.

I have to be honest here, and say that the idea for this blog post came from a friend, Penny Gadd, who writes a very interesting blog, entitled Autumn Leaves.  Thank you for the idea, Penny!  Quotes today, as always, from Pinterest.com

 

I was sat in the garden the other day, with one of my daughters, bemoaning the fact that the garden wasn't looking as good as it could. Too many weeds had suddenly appeared. As soon as I cleared one patch, they would appear elsewhere. Shrubs needed to be cut back, the gazebo's needed painting.  My daughter told me that I was a perfectionist.  I suppose that could be true - I used to be able to spend hours out in the garden, making sure it all looked lovely. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do that any more. Well, to be honest, I don't WANT to do it any more. It's all become a bit of a chore, which is not what it's supposed to be. 

 

So here's where we come to the title of my Post today. Am I worrying unnecessarily about this?  When others visit, do they see the garden through my eyes, or do they see the bigger picture and admire the profusion of roses, the pots of coloured geraniums, the perennial plants waving in the Summer breeze, with the view of the fields beyond?  In other words, as I have mentioned many times before, am I sweating the small stuff, instead of seeing that bigger picture ?!  Answers on a postcard please! 😊😊.

So I have decided that I must just do what I can, and what doesn't get done will have to wait for another day, and I will try, once again, to just live in the moment...

 

On another tack, I think we must also  be gentle with ourselves if we don't feel awesome every day.  We are going to get days when we feel a little out of kilter with the world, but that's okay too. This too shall pass ....

 
 
On a lighter note, this is the best advice we can give ourselves - a quote from Elizabeth Taylor, another lady who I greatly admired...

 

That's about it for today then.  May you find many blessings in the week ahead. Look after yourselves out there ❤️

4 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

We all need at times to take a breath, pour ourselves a drink or a cuppa and not sweat the little things and think about the bigger picture and is it worth getting upset about a chilled laid back approach to life can be a good thing as long as we are not too laid back and chilled

Southhamsdarling said...

Hello Jo-Anne. What a lovely surprise seeing you here today! I do hope you and all your family are doing well. You're right - it's just a case of getting a happy compromise really. Thank you so much for your comment.

Suzanne said...

Good Morning, Thisisme! I have to agree with you on all counts, but it is hard to give up the things you are used to doing for pleasure, like gardening. I, too, am unable to maintain the gardens as I did, and I hate it! I stress and wonder if I just can't get out there for a while to dig the weeds. Your gardens are so beautiful, I've wondered how you do it all. But, like you said, it's such a job now, not to be enjoyed as much. My only regret is that I don't have as much to share on MyTexasGardens, but have decided, that any garden or outdoors items will do just fine for a post-any garden or live creatures are part of MyTexasGardens, right!

If I can accomplish one or two important things every day or so, I try to feel good about that, and reward myself with an ice cream, or a nice cup of coffee (drinking from my Elvis coffee cup today). Thank you for sharing these true quotes for us to guide our peace of mind by. Have a wonderful week, see you soon!



Southhamsdarling said...

Hallo Suzanne, my Texan friend! Love how you still call me Thisisme! That goes back a bit, doesn't it? Well, I see that you are feeling the same way about caring for your garden over there. It's a shame, isn't it, but I think it really is best not to stress about it too much. You're right, any garden or outdoor theme is just fine for your blog, and I think that, yes, we must feel positive about what we do accomplish. Love your idea of rewarding yourself , and I did smile at the Elvis mug comment. Take care my friend ❤️