Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 October 2010

Nothing in particular really!

Well, I've just arrived home from the hairdressers, so I feel half decent again for a while!  When I opened the front door, the December issue of the Good Housekeeping was waiting for me, so I shall look forward to reading that shortly.  Think a cup of coffee and a pain au chocolat is also called for.  I hardly slept at all last night, which is unusual for me, so I am not feeling at my best, I must admit!  Probably not a good time to be writing this Blog, you might think, but here goes anyway.
Here in my part of the world, the clocks will be going back this weekend, so the evenings will start to draw in.  I can't believe how quickly this year seems to be passing by.  I thought I would type in a recipe for a heart-warming soup today and perhaps you might like to try it sometime.




                 Squash & sweet potato soup

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 medium red chillies, deseeded and chopped
2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 butternut squash - around 750g - peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium tomatoes, skinned and diced
1.7 litres hot vegetable stock
A hearty, warming soup spiced up with chilli and coriander. Add some sour cream for extra depth and flavour (or I might use Creme Fraiche).

 
Preparation time:     20 mins
Cooking time:         35 mins
Total time:              55 mins
Serves:                    8 people
Course:                  Soups, starters & snacks


Method
1 Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onion until soft - around 10 minutes. Add the chilli and coriander seeds to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
2 Add the squash, sweet potatoes and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the hot stock, then cover and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
3 Whiz the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Reheat until piping hot..
Serve with hot crusty bread, and enjoy!

3 comments:

BB said...

This recipe sounds heavenly. Have to try it when it's cold enough here.

I got your message as well. Yes I am getting your comments. I have to approve them first and then they go on the blog. And with your time difference I was sleeping when you were writing this. Unfortunately, there is no way to know what a reply may be unless you keep going back to the blog. One of the glitches that Blogger has. I do try to acknowledge each and every one of you. I am also in the middle of writing my blog for the day. If you haven't done so already you should list your followers on your site. Then whenever they write something new, it shows on the dashboard. It's a great tool. You are never a bother my dear. Never!!! I'm so glad you found me.

SkippyMom said...

This soup looks so delicious! We have decided to have a soup starter for our Thanksgiving meal this year. This soup is perfect, thank you so much for the recipe.

PS - How do you crush coriander seeds exactly/ Thanks!

Southhamsdarling said...

Eeek! Over here, SkippyMom, we can buy the coriander seeds already crushed (as you can also buy crushed chillies). If you can get hold of coriander seeds, I would just use a pestle and mortar.