Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 December 2018

Tis the Season ....


As I write these few words, it is a truly awful day out there - dark, with the rain pouring down. I am thankful for the twinkling lights around the house, and the festive Christmas trees, which brighten my day.  Not to mention the Christmas music playing in the background. 









Actually, I have much to be thankful for this festive Season, above all of course, the good health of myself and my family, although I am well aware that things can change in an instant. Even now, I know of three friends who are in hospital at this very moment, having heart surgery. Christmas will be a quiet time for them this year. 



I’m sure most of you are now right in the middle of all your preparations.  Amidst all the hustle and bustle, it is important sometimes to  just ...... breathe!  Everything will get done. It usually does, doesn’t it?!  Some advice here from me to you .... 😊



I know that I am very blessed, and I reflect on those for whom Christmas is a real struggle. People who have lost loved ones, and for many, this time of the year never gets any easier. Families who are struggling financially, but who carry on spending on their credit cards so that their children won’t be disappointed on Christmas morning. People who will be on their own, especially the elderly....



I am an only child, so there has never been any large gathering of the clan at this time of the year!  Is it lovely to be surrounded by lots of siblings and their families,  or can it be quite exhausting?!  Friends of mine tell me that I have a very romantic view of family life!



Having said all that, I truly do love Christmas.  In fact, I think I love all the build up just as much as the day itself. 

I probably won’t be writing again before Christmas, so I wish you ALL, wherever you are, a very happy and magical Christmas Season. 



Me? I have lots of lovely things planned in the next couple of weeks, with my youngest grandchildren, aged ten and almost nine 😊.  Meanwhile, I’m off to Madrid this weekend to celebrate my eldest granddaughter’s 21st Birthday. 🎉.  See what I mean - BLESSED I AM 🙏🏻



All images today courtesy of Pinterest.com

6 comments:

Knitty said...

You have a wonderful outlook. I have only one sibling, a brother who hasn't been part of my life for almost my entire life. He is 15 years older. I've tried but at some point, it is time to accept that you can't change another person. My guess is that he resented my surprise appearance into the family as he turned against our parents too. That really hurt. But onto the positive: In marriage, I gained a sister-in-law (my husband's brother's wife) who is the sister I never had and vice versa.

There is no guarantee that we will all have siblings, cousins, spouses or children of our own. The family we choose is just as important and often kinder than blood relatives. I've always been lucky to have those types of friends in my life. Even the people we only know through blogs and forums can emotionally touch our lives and be a reason to smile. You are very good at supplying smiles.

Have a wonderful time in Madrid and blessed holiday wishes to you and yours.

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely comment, Knitty. Oh, I so agree with you about friendship. I have a lovely little group of girlfriends, and, of course, I have my two caring daughters. That’s sad about your brother, but as you say, you just have to let it go. I also agree how we can be touched by our bloggy and online friends. A very Happy Christmas to you and your family, and thank you again for dropping in 😊

michael driscoll said...

We have just returned to our winter home in St Petersburg FL.It was interesting to see the decorations and lights a few days ago in both Australia and New Zealand.It is amazing to see such a wonderful display so similar on the far side of the world.Thank you for your post and to wish you and yours the best for the upcoming season.Michael and Virginia

Southhamsdarling said...

Hallo Michael and Virginia! How lovely to see you here. A nice surprise. It looks as if you have just had an amazing trip, and I enjoyed seeing all the photos. So you are now back in Florida / I wish you both a very happy Christmas and a healthy and peaceful new year.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Dear Diane ... You truly do love Christmas and you certainly do have a very "romantic" view on family life .. xx

We truly are blessed to have such lovey supportive friends in our lives ... where would we be without our "blogs" . .which I do miss doing, I need to buy a new laptop .. and without technology knowledge , I am a bit apprehensive. . Anyway , I went off a little bit there .. Blogs , FB and now instagram .. which has brought new friends .. and my postcard sharing .So very lucky and blessed .

I really hope that your friends are on the road to recovery ...it is hard but for some reason even harder in this season . So prayers for them all.

There is a lot of sruggle out there , all as you say above. It is just very sad .. what is even sadder , is we have been struggling through no fault of their own trying to make a happy life for their children and then you have the absolutely awful (polite ) that make the children's lives hell .. but that is another story SORRY I digressed .

Were you an only child of parents who were only children?

I have a huge family .. cousins everywhere .. ( only in contact with two on regular basis .. . as for siblings .. I had a sister , sadly she passed tragically .. but she was up and down. . I have a brother , now not speaking .. or if he does, it is stilted ..he thinks he can speak to me in his manner because he is my brother ..I don't think so . it is a very long story Stepfather died August , mum on her own, elderly and on dialysis 3 times a week .. she does get carers .she does go out to bingo etc with friends wHo pick her up etc . He said I should of moved over nearer to them ..i couldn't afford to .. you know what it has been like ., and I had to move away from MY son's and grandchildren ..and to top it all , brother and step nephew have stopped talking too. But then step neohew isn't talking to me either

Too be truthful ..it isn't all roses and chocolate sptinkles .. some families are like that . .. I find whole thing so stressful .

You have two wonderful daughters and their hubbies , three fab grandchildren. Super friends .. Enjoy .. xxx

Sorry , I have taken over your page .. I did say I would be over to leave a comment .. hugs .

Southhamsdarling said...

Hallo Anne! Sorry, I’ve only just seen your comment- but you can take over my page any time you like 😊😉! I’m sorry to hear about your brother, and now your nephew. So you are right, I obviously thought having a large family would be all hunky dory! As you say, I am very fortunate in having my loving and cAring daughters, and my son in laws are the same, so I must be grateful to have all that in my life, and I am! Not forgetting my three grandchildren ❤️. Every day I offer up a little prayer of thankfulness. I was very close to my mum and dad as well. I do have a few cousins, but over the years, people move away, but I do visit one cousin in Bristol at least twice a year, and we get on really well. I also have a few really good girlfriends, and I don’t know where I would be without them in my life. As you say, the blogging g has dropped off, but it’s lovely that we can all keep in touch via Facebook. I love how you’re involved in that postcard project 😊. I wish you a very Happy Christmas, Anne, and I hope you will be spending it with at least some of your grandchildren. Take care x