Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 August 2021

Was Ignorance Really Bliss?

Well, hello!  I don't know if anyone is still out there. I've just realised that I haven't written a Post for so long....the end of January to be precise. 

Any old how, I was just sat here ruminating on this Saturday morning about this and that, when I decided to put pen to paper once again. Remember those - pen and paper?!  Such a shame that the art of letter writing seems to have gone out the window - I used to love writing and receiving letters, but I suppose they're not needed anymore, when we can be in instant contact with people through our phones. 



I was reading something the other day, when the sentence "ignorance is bliss" came up. It was a saying that used to be said quite a lot, and, in view of the events of this past eighteen months, I'm beginning to wonder if there's something in it.   Covid-19 is the first Pandemic of the Information Age, and there is so much information out there, but the trouble is, a lot of that information is incorrect, with some bordering on real scaremongering. 



Of course, the media need to keep us informed, but in my opinion, a lot of their reporting during this time has been increasingly frantic, causing a great number of people to feel increasingly scared. This is, in this Country, despite the very successful vaccine roll out.  We have been literally bombarded with information from all angles. My goodness, I never realised there were so many 'experts' out there who saw fit to pontificate their point of view. The trouble is, not many of these experts seemed to agree with each other, which didn't really give me much faith!

I'm sure there are a lot of people reading this that will totally disagree with me, and that's fine. Thankfully this isn't Twitter, so I'm unlikely to be torn to shreds! 

Anyway, on to brighter things!  Today my daughter and two youngest grandchildren  are flying to Ibiza to spend the week with my eldest daughter.  They last saw each other last year, so I'm happy for them to be getting together again. The adults have been vaccinated, and the grandchildren had the appropriate tests to enable them to be able to do this. They will then be tested again before they fly back to the UK.  People keep saying, surely you can go without a holiday this year.  Hallo!!!! For thousands of us, it's not about going on holiday, it's about being reunited with our loved ones again. 



I haven't actually seen my eldest daughter and my eldest granddaughter for almost two years now, but I'm very excited to say that I've booked a flight to Ibiza at the beginning of September (which is where they live).  Just have to hope that nothing new rears  it's ugly head in the meantime, so that I actually get there. 

I thought I would just end with a few quotes that I hope you might like ....











Thank you for reading this, and I'll try not to leave it so long next time! 💕

8 comments:

BB said...

Good news on the travel bit my awesome friend. I think you all deserve a visit with each other. This makes me happy. Over here it’s back to the scaremongering news every day. I just stay safe and hope for the best. It’s all we can do isn’t it?

Hugs and love ����

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi my awesome friend. Thankfully, it seems to be easing a bit over here just at the moment, but who knows what's around the corner. As you say, we must try to keep ourselves safe. We have no control over anything else really. Hugs to you BB ❤️

Linda O'Connell said...

So good to hear from you again! I have been remiss in not reaching out. Your inspirational quotes are just perfect for these times when nobody seems sure of anything. So happy your family could be together. I know you are counting the days.

Suzanne said...

Hi Thisisme! It is great to see you here, and have refreshing words given to us. You are correct about the media...sending us confusing and disturbing messages and causing chaos among some folks. We do have a lot of frantic people about in the grocery stores and on the road. The mask mandate goes back and forth, but Shawn and I stay ready for whatever is appropriate of the day.

I love your photo of the girls and grandchildren in Ibiza! What fun...I'm so glad you will get to go. I haven't seen my mom and sister either, but talk to them weekly. My mom won't text, but she doesn't get around much anymore. They took a short lake trip last weekend with my niece and great niece, and had a pretty good time.

Your kindness quotes ring true and should be utilized. Today is Shawn's first day back to school, and the traffic lines were heavy. I took turns letting cars in front of me, but not many parents do that. In my book, that's a big kindness, taking it easy in heavy traffic. It took us 25 minutes to get to the front door of his school...they have rebuilt the school in its former spot, and tore the old one down. It's beautiful.

Thank you for your uplifting post, Thisisme...so good to see you! Have a great trip to Ibiza, cocktails, and fun in the sun! Safe travels, dear friend!

Knitty said...

Good to see you posting again. I’ve been just as behind for a variety of reasons. I miss the way so many of us posted 10 or more years ago.

If all that we heard was verified truth and wasn’t broadcast every 15 minutes, I don’t think we’d need the phrase “ignorance is bliss”. I’m fine with people wondering if they’re hearing the whole story but discounting multiple experts in their fields and going along with a social media celebrity or a paid talking head on a network whose real aim is to gain viewers makes me avoid a lot of media of all sorts.

I hope you are staying healthy and happy. I’m trying to do that and most days, I succeed. Yay!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Linda. Sorry I'm late in replying - I didn't think anyone was commenting! People were saying that they were having difficulty in opening this particular Post. I'm so glad you like the quotes. Such strange times, and, yes, it makes me so happy that my little family are together again. Thank you so much for popping over ❤️

Southhamsdarling said...

Good to hear from you Knitty. Yes, it was good when we were all blogging regularly. I remember that I used to blog every single day. What on earth did I find to say?! I don't mind the experts - but so many of them are coming out of the woodwork, and a lot of them contradict each other over here. We still wear masks over here, and I'm certainly not interested in being near a lot of people. I think that will be the case for some time to come! What a dreadful year it's been. Anyway, take care over there and thank you so much for your comment.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Suzanne, my lovely Texan friend! As I said to Linda, I didn't think anyone would comment, as people said they couldn't get in to read this Post. Hey ho! I so agree with you about the traffic and letting people in. If everyone did that, and gave a turn, it would be so much easier. You're one of the good ones my friend! Hope Shawn has settled back into School. Eli and Ruby don't return until early September. Ruby will be starting up at the big school then. It will be quite a change for her, as it's a huge school. I pray that she will settle in well. Sorry to learn that your mum used but so good these days. I do hope that you will get to see her and your sister fairly soon. We still wear masks in shops over here, but a bit less so now. I certainly have no wish to be with a load of people! I'm glad you agree with me about the media! Anyway, thank you for your lovely long comment, as always, and make sure you take good care of yourself! Hugs ❤️