Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 October 2019

This is where I live, here in heavenly Devon


Today I thought I would give you a little tour of Ivybridge, here in the beautiful South Hams of Devon, where I have lived for 37 years.  I am proud to be a Devon maid born and bred, as I was born in Plymouth, about ten miles away, Britain’s Ocean City. The picture above is of the ancient bridge, from where Ivybridge gets its name. A bridge in this exact location was recorded as far back as 1250, which was known as the Ponte Ederosa, which translates to the bridge of ivy.  The bridge crosses the beautiful River Erme, which runs through the middle of the town. 


Ivybridge nestles at the foot of Dartmoor, one of England's glorious National Parks, and yet we have the sea and wonderful sandy beaches only fifteen minutes from here.  I guess Ivybridge is really a small town now, but to me, it will always be "the village!"  "Town" is that other place, just ten miles down the road, that is the seafaring City of Plymouth!




The above photo is of the river that I have mentioned previously in this Post.   As you can see, we have a lovely Memorial in the village dedicated to the brave men of the American Armed Forces, who were stationed here during WW11.


From the following photo of the Main Street,  you really can see how this small town is nestled at the foothills of Dartmoor.  



I can see the Western Beacon from my home, and these are the views when you have climbed to the top ...



Well, I hope you have a lovely Sunday, and that you’ve enjoyed this little tour.  

No comments: