Total Pageviews

Saturday 20 November 2010

Happy Weekend

Hi there everyone.  Hope all is well with you in whatever part of the world you're living in!!

I just wanted to stop by and wish you all a very happy weekend.  I guess all my blogging friends in America are getting very excited about Thanksgiving at the moment.  Just a thought - is that more important than Christmas in America?? I'm just not sure.  Perhaps I will hear (well, I'm sure I will!) more about Thanksgiving and what it means to you all, in the coming week.

I'm just sat here quietly at my laptop at the moment, enjoying the peace and quiet before my two little grandchildren arrive.  Their daddy is away for the weekend, so my daughter will be bringing them along to spend some time with us.  I am so lucky, because they only live five minutes away by car, so they are very much part of our  lives.  Every day I count my blessings for that, because I am well aware that a lot of grandparents spend their weekends driving up and down the motorway to be able to connect with their loved ones.

It's strange, but since I've been reading all these blogs from America, I sometimes find that I am speaking like them!  For example, this morning, in one of my comments, I wrote the word awesome!!  Now that is a word that we never really use over here in good, old,  restrained England.   I'm obviously trying to become like one of you (have a nice day, y'all!!  Sorry, I'm getting carried away now).

Where I live here in deepest Devon, we quite often get the mickey taken out of our accents by the media. I'm sure they think  we all live down  here with straw coming out of our ears!!  The Devon dialect can be rather unusual (!), but it's a nice, soft accent.  Perhaps in a future blog, I might give you some Devon words and their meanings.

This blogging can become very addictive, can't it?!  Sometimes, I almost begrudge having to go out, and I rush to my laptop as soon as I get back home.  Is everyone like that??

Ooops, the little ones are here, so I must love you and leave you for the time being.  You take care, y'all!

15 comments:

colenic said...

Have a great day with your grand children...it is amazing that you are that close to them. I am sure that they appreciate being able to spend that much time with you...
Thanksgiving is a universal holiday in America- doesn't have anything to do with religion or gifts...just getting together with family and friends (for most of us) and taking a day out to remember what you are thankful for. For me, it is a day of laughter, cooking with a glass of wine in your hand, spending time with family, watching football and eating...a lot...actually sitting down at the table as a family, enjoying each others company....I am sure that you will get to hear about our traditions over the next week...
Enjoy your day....hugs!!

Unknown said...

Hope you had fun visiting with your precious grandchildren. I know how much fun that they can be as I have two grandsons 2 & 4.
Thanksgiving is really more important than Christmas here in the USA. There is more emphasis put on family and closeness. Much preparation is done for the eating & time being spent with family & friends. Christmas on the other hand is just so commercialized that the real meaning has long been lost. For me I just want that part of the year to be over as quickly as possible. My wife & I try to find someone needy to help and give us the idea we found the right spirit for the season but along the way we also spend way too much money on gifts that really don't matter "just because" it's Christmas. Sad, but true.
Odie

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you so much to Odie and Col for explaining all about Thanksgiving. It sounds a lovely time of year, I agree that Christmas itself has become far too commercialized and we seem to have completely lost the true spirit of it. And it all starts far too early these days as well.

Belle said...

Personally, I like Christmas more than Thanksgiving. I love everything about it. And yes, blogging can be addicting. I love everything about it too! The best part is reading other people's blogs, I learn so much and feel a lot of love.

Gawgus things... said...

Think we need Thanksgiving in the rest of the world - it sounds exactly what's needed...

Olive said...

Thanksgiving is calmer and somewhat more family oriented but I do enjoy Christmas more. We do not go all commercialized like the culture has but we cook, bake, and decorate. It is the one time of the year the kids and us all get together. At Thanksgiving we will go to my BIL's house in Athens, Ga. I am very into blogging and strive for balance and try to get up and move around often. Enjoy those children! I placed you on my blog roll so I can keep up with you!

BB said...

This...You are awesome!!! :-) Thanksgiving is a lovely holiday but being married to a chef for 23 years meant I spent every one alone with my son. I'd feel guilty if I went anywhere to enjoy it because I knew how hard Rich was working. But I do have good memories of Thanksgiving from my teen years.

Christmas is a lot of fun but its a longer holiday. You start out earlier in the month to decorate, start shopping, wrapping gifts, baking, cooking and once Christmas day arrives you're so exhausted. I've always felt Christmas should be a kids holiday. That's where the joy has always been for me. I guess we make the best out of any holiday right?

Enjoy your time with the kids. I'm happily jealous.

Southhamsdarling said...

Belle, I agree with you. You do get a lot of love from blogging.Guess we're really lucky with our blogging friends.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi gawgus-things. Yes, I think Thanksgiving should be adopted all over the world too.

Southhamsdarling said...

Olive, sounds as if you-re going to have a good old-fashioned Christmas. The true meaning of the season. Thank you for joining my blog roll. I always enjoy reading your posts very much.

Southhamsdarling said...

Bouncin'Barb. I love that word - AWESOME!!! That must have been pretty lonely for you with your little boy when Rich was working during all those Thanksgivings. I think we should take time to remember all those who have to work at that particular time. You're right of course, Christmas is really for the youngsters. I wish I could wave a magic wand for you, so that you could spend some time this Christmas with your two beautiful little granddaughters x

ANichols.Too said...

"I sometimes find that I am speaking like them"

That is awesome! (sorry, couldn't resist!) :)

Southhamsdarling said...

Too - LOL!!!

Becky said...

I love Thanksgiving. In fact, if I'm correct... people travel more on this holiday than at any other. Family togetherness is BIG for Thanksgiving!! I love Christmas as well, but it has become SO comercialized that I feel Thanksgiving gets lost a little bit and forgotten about some. I try not to get to involved in the Christmas excitement until AFTER Thanksgiving. ~ This year, will be the first year my family (the 4 of us) will not be together. My youngest dtr. has flown with her b/f to Arizona to spend it with his family. It will be a bit strange not having her with us.

Yes!! Blogging is addictive!! But, I LOVE IT!! :)

YES!! Please DO tell us some of your Devon words!! I would love to hear about them!!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Becky. It has been so good to hear all the comments about Thanksgiving, and lovely that it is such a family time. I expect your other daughter will miss her sister this yeear!