Total Pageviews

Friday 14 October 2016

Game of Conkers, Anyone?!

 

This is a photo I took the other morning of a beautiful sunrise across the fields. On a lovely day, everything seems so crisp and clear at this time of year. 

Autumn always brings back childhood memories of playing Conkers. Conkers are the fruits of the Horse Chestnut Tree.  They are so shiny, that you would think that the tree fairies had been polishing them!

 

I used to spend hours with friends, collecting these from the local woods, and looking for the biggest and best conkers. This was a very serious business and all sorts of methods would be used to make our conkers hard, ready for the games ahead.  We would soak them in vinegar or bake them in the oven, to name just a couple of tricks. A hole would then be made through the middle of each conker and a length of string attached. 

 

We would take our conkers into school and the game would be played during break times. Somehow I can't imagine that being allowed now, with the Health & Safety zealots around. The conker to break first would be the loser!  The traditional game of conkers is actually named from the word 'conquer' as the aim of the game is to conquer one another's conkers. Clever, eh?!  Apparently, there is even a World Conker Championship. Who knew?!

Can anyone else remember playing Jacks?!  I was an only child, so I suppose this game was ideal for me, and I can remember playing it for hours, although you could play it with others. 





I remember having such fun as a child. Certainly, there's no denying that life was so much simpler then and, of course, not many of our mums used to go out to work. Another favourite was to make Dens at the local park and take a picnic along. It really was just like something out of Enid Blyton's Famous Five or Secret Seven. Here is one of my Enid Blyton books that was given to me on my birthday in 1958!

 

Perhaps I'll talk about more childhood games in a future post. Hope you’re all having a good weekend. 

12 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Diane. I remember collecting conkers with my boys. .They used to collect bags and bags of them. Then after a while we would find them rotting. . Children don't play conkers now they just collect them. The World Championship has been running for years. Who knew. Very strict rules as well. And you ate right about conkers at school. Not allowed to play.

Unknown said...

A wonderful post my sweet friend and loved seeing the pictures of those interesting conkers. I have enjoyed getting back into my blog and realized yesterday I started it back in May of 2010. Have a wonderful weekend. Odie

Suzanne said...

How fascinating this is! I've never heard of conkers or horse tree applenuts. You went to a lot of ceremony in order to prepare the Conkers. What fun. Love your childhood story and photos. I'm unplugged for a few days for computer problems and typing from my phone. Hard to do. It's wonderful that you still have a childhood book. Have a great weekend, This is me!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Anne. Thank you for your comment. It's a shame that it's not played anymore, but at least children still collect them! Good that you stopped by.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Odie. So glad you enjoyed the post, and I'm glad you're getting back into your Blog again. I started in the October of 2010, so not too long after you.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hallo Suzanne. You're such a loyal supporter. Thank you! The game of Conkers must be very much a British thing then. It used to be such fun! Let's hope they can get your computer mended very soon! You have a good week end too.

Unknown said...

Yeah! She's back!!

Southhamsdarling said...

I am back indeed, Miss Rosemary! Thank you for dropping by.

Unknown said...

Another wonderful story and I loved the pictures as I have never been around the real nuts. Have a great weekend.
Odie

Southhamsdarling said...

Hope you're enjoying your weekend as well, Odie. Give Rocky a hug from me.

Unknown said...

The biggest thing that I did with my friends was ride bikes. That seemed to be the trend in 1970. Of course we went swimming and had sleepovers too. We listened to our transistor radios and learned all of the new songs.

Southhamsdarling said...

My friends had bikes, Bee Bee, but I could never ride one. I just couldn't balance!! Gosh, transistor radios. Now THAT brings back memories. I loved my little transistor radio!