Total Pageviews

Saturday 15 October 2016

Time For Those Cosy Nights....

I love Summer.... Long, lazy days, eating outdoors, glasses of chilled Rosè, walking along the beach, feeling the sun on your face.... But those longer days are behind us once again and the days are getting shorter with each passing week.  

What do you like about the season of Autumn?  I confess that the child is still inside me, and I love kicking up the leaves when I'm out for a walk.

 


 
The evenings are starting to get a little chilly now, so I've been making up the wood burner and lighting the candles to make the house look nice and cosy 

 

For the past three years, I've been lucky enough to have been visiting friends in America at this time of year and let me tell you .... They're into pumpkins in a BIG way! Drive along any road, and the houses are all decorated with displays of pumpkins and brightly coloured 'mum's'.  They use pumpkin in all sorts of things....pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, marshmallows, soup, candles, cookies, ice cream, and, of course, latte. They even have pumpkin dog treats!

 


 

Did you know that Starbucks introduced their Pumpkin Spiced Latte in 2003?  It is Starbucks' most popular seasonal beverage, and they have sold over 200 million since it was first introduced. Gosh! 

Over here in the UK, the pumpkin is mainly used at Halloween, when the insides are carved out to make a face, and a candle put inside. 

This morning it was quite dreary here, so I decided to make a batch of home made soup. Tomorrow I will make another batch, using the last of the tomatoes from the garden. 

 

 

Well, it's getting late as I write this, so I will close for now, and I'm sure I'll see you again soon. 

(All photos are taken by me unless otherwise stated). 

10 comments:

Suzanne said...

Gosh, I got my computer hooked up just in time to make it here! Love that photo of you and the pumpkins! Scooter and I went to market today, and bought 5 pumpkins-3 will be carved, and the other two just for looks. I do have some of the small ones on the table in my kitchen. By the way, your soup looks great, and those tomatoes are pretty! I, too still enjoy kicking up the leaves as I walk along, and, it looks as though it is a natural thing to do. I wanted to let you know that your sea photo on your header is just beautiful, as it is enlarged! Have a wonderful weekend, Thisisme-so good to see you! ♥

Sush said...

Coming from the 'Deep South' I was a newcomer to an Autumn with real coloring. The most I can recall in New Orleans was the golden rain tress. Here in NC Mother Nature puts on a grand exhibition of colors in full technicolor. I also enjoy the sound of the acorns as the fall on the roof and the shed.
I'm glad you are enjoying the cozy fire in your lovely room! Happy Fall and it's so wonderful to have you back! Hugs~

Glenda said...

Very happy to see you blogging again, my friend! Fall is a wonderful time of the year. The cool crisp days are welcome after the deep-fried summer we've had here in South Carolina this summer. A trip to the mountains this week netted us some fresh grown mountain apples. The Honeycrisp grown in North Carolina is my favorite and I do hope you'll have a chance to try them sometime. Pumpkins make a great Fall display, but I don't really like the taste of pumpkin, even in pies. We carve them at Halloween and stack them on hay bales out front with maybe a scarecrow or two. Take care and keep writing!

Unknown said...

Your photos are so amazing and beautiful especially when you are in the shot. Those tomatoes looked go great I just wanted to pick one off the screen and eat it. Keep up the awesome job you are doing.
Odie

Southhamsdarling said...

Hallo again Suzanne. How lovely that you and Scooter were able to go and find some pumpkins together. Yay! Glad your computer seems to be fixed. Glad you like the header photo, enlarged in all its glory!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi dear Sush. Thank you for popping over! I also have lots of acorns in the garden at the minent and they can make quite the noise when they hit the shed roof! Thank you for your lovely welcome back.

Southhamsdarling said...

Glenda - hallo, twin! I'm so glad you were able to make it over here. I'm actually enjoying blogging again. I doubt if we get Honeycrisp apples over here, but I'll certainly look out for them. I will try to keep writing!

Southhamsdarling said...

You always were such a good support to me and my Blog, Odie. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to come over to see me. I do love photography, I must admit. I do hope that you're doing okay at the moment.

Unknown said...

I am in awe over the bright colors of the leaves in your photos. Here in Florida we don't get the mix of colors like we do in the northeast, so your pictures gave me a smile of memories of playing in the leaf piles as a kid. Yes, pumpkins are a very big deal over here. I'm not fond of it either, so I guess I'm an outcast! LOL

Southhamsdarling said...

You an outcast, BeeBee?! Never! Glad this post brought back some memories for you. Just noticed your little Avatar - you're a woman of mystery, that's for sure.