Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Film Review


My thirteen year old granddaughter, who lives in France,  went on a school trip on Sunday.  She has gone ski-ing down in the French Alps, so I am hoping that she is having a lovely time and keeping safe.

My friend and I went to the cinema again last night, and this time we saw Morning Glory, which starred Harrison Ford, Rachel McAdams, Diane Keaton, Jeff Goldblum and Patrick Wilson. 



A brief summary of the story is that Becky Fuller (Rachel McAdams) thought that she was going to be promoted at a local TV Station.  Instead, she is shocked to find that she is being sacked.  She then gets a job as Producer of a breakfast TV show, where the ratings are nothing short of disastrous.  To increase  ratings, Becky decides to employ veteran news reporter, Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford) to co-host the show with daytime diva, Colleen Peck (Diane Keaton).

Unfortunately, things do not go as planned and, to cut a long story short, Becky's new boss (Jeff Goldblum) informs her that unless the ratings improve dramatically, the show is going to be axed.

I love Diane Keaton and, I have to say, for a woman of a certain age, she really does look fabulous.  Harrison Ford was really getting up my nose whilst I was watching the first part of the film, but I suppose that goes to show how well he was playing the part, because he really was a pain in the proverbial.

With the show due to be cancelled, Becky decides to take the bull by the horns and change the format of the show, and, for me, this is where the film really took off.  You must watch out for the weatherman from here on in!  The film comes alive and my friend and I were really laughing out loud.  It was so funny.

You also have a romantic interest going on throughout the film with Becky and a fellow producer (Patrick Wilson, who is very easy on the eye by the way) who falls in love with her.



It's a feel good movie, and has a happy ending, with Mike coming good in the end.

Would I recommend it?  Yes, for a light-hearted evening out, I would.

I have noticed that I have gained some new Followers recently, so I would just like to say a very big welcome to you.  I thank you for following and hope that you will visit often.



22 comments:

Gawgus things... said...

Do like a 'feel good' film - will have to check this one out!

Unknown said...

You did good Thisisme and I will be looking for that movie right away. The actors are ones I like too. Congrats on the new followers and I am sure it will continue to grow. Have a wonderful rest of the day.
Odie

Southhamsdarling said...

Gawgus things - You will like this one!

Odie - It was a good film, and I think it will make you laugh, which is no bad thing.

Becky said...

What a wonderful movie review!! You did a great job! I will be looking for this movie to come out of video. Sounds like my girls will like it, too! :)

Southhamsdarling said...

Becky - Hi there. Yes, it would be a lovely film for you to all watch together, and I like happy endings!

Kelly~ Wave of Life Surf Studio said...

I have been meaning to watch this one.. I like HF & DK :) Congrats on the new followers!

SkippyMom said...

I didn't even know this movie was out. Where have I been.

I love Diane Keaton and you aren't kidding about how good she looks. I like the set up of the movie. Thank you so much for your review. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

And welcome to your new friends. The more the merrier! :)

Sandra said...

Sold! I've wondered whether or not I would be willing to commit two hours of my time, but you've effectively convinced me.

Jumble Mash said...

I've seen the previews for this movie and wasn't really sure if it was my cup of tea, but after your review, I think I may just have to give it a try. The cinemas should pay you for this stuff, This.

Southhamsdarling said...

Kelly - thank you!

SkippyMom - Hope you get to see it. Think your girls would enjoy it as well.

Jumble Mash - Getting paid?! That sounds like a pretty neat idea! As I said in the review, first of all, I wasn't sure, but then the film did take off and it was very funny in places.

Shady Del Knight said...

Belle's president of the Harrison Ford Fan Club and I know that she'll want to see this one. I love movies about television news and entertainment programs because that was my line of work for many years. I love Rachel McAdams from seeing her work in The Notebook and Red Eye. I love feel good music and movies and I'm putting Morning Glory on my must see list, Thisisme!

Carol E Wyer said...

After my last trip to the cinema I'd better wait for the DVD of this one but like you I admire Diane Keaton and love 'feel good' films.
I'm very pleased you passed by my blog today and hope you collected the Awesome Blog Award. I think you really deserve it - you represent the proper spirit of blogging.
Thank you too for trying to pass me the 'LOL Award'. I'm going to have to become an award free blog as it's embarrassing when you have to refuse them.
Thank you for your lovely comment. The whole donkey thing was quite funny but I did end up in a clinic having my elbow X-rayed after I tumbled off my moped and all the staff thought it was hilarious. it's not something that everyone can lay claim to and the moral of the story is never lean on a donkey.
Grey and cold here. Time for afternoon tea and light the log burner.
Carol

Southhamsdarling said...

Shady - hope you're having a good day over there. Belle will like this film then! Although HF was quite grumpy to start off with. However, he does mellow a little as the film progresses. If you do get to see the film, you'll have to let me know what you think!

Facing50WithHumour - Thank you for your lovely comments. I will accept the award if the others take it as well. I don't want to grab it all on my own!!!! Afternoon tea beside the log burner sounds very civilized I must say!!

Rebecca said...

this movie sounds even better then the previews looked

Annie Joy said...

I'm happy you posted this review. I meant to add it to my Netflix list, but had forgotten. Will do so right now! Thanks! Annie

Lyndylou said...

Harrison Ford -mmmmmmmmmmm he is kinda cute! Hope your granddaughter has a great time :)

Southhamsdarling said...

Sandra - Nice to hear from you! I hope you will enjoy the film. It's always a bit worrying reviewing a book or a film, because, at the end of the day, it's only your personal opinion!

Becca - it certainly made me laugh!

Annie - That's okay! I haven't heard of a Netflix list - ???

lyndylou - Thank you. They've got so many activities lined up for them (day time and evenings) that I think she'll be tired out by the time she gets home!! LOL! It's still very cold down here in Devon. Brrrr!

Natasha in Oz said...

I am so glad you reviewed this as it is next on my list of movies to see. We finally saw "the King's Speech" on the weekend and I LOVED it so I am sure I will love this too.

Thanks so much for popping in and leaving such sweet messages during my bloggy break. I think I have finally got my "mojo" back and am ready to get back into it again. It was wonderful to see Australia celebrating yesterday and putting the heartache of the last few weeks behind us for a day.

Hope the rest of your week is wonderful and thanks for being a wonderful bloggy friend.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Belle said...

Thanks for the review. I've seen the ads about this movie and wondered if it was good. Yes, I will go and see Harrison Ford. I'm sure he and the studio need my money.

Southhamsdarling said...

Natasha - Thank you so much for those lovely comments, and I am glad to hear that you have got your 'mo-jo' back!! I agree so much that it was good for Australians to have something to celebrate on Australia Day after all those terrible floods that affected so many people. I am so glad that you enjoyed The Kings Speech! I look forward to seeing some more of your wonderful photos very soon.

Belle - yes, I'm sure HF really needs your money! LOL!

BB said...

I'll have to wait for this one on Netflix and sneak it in when Bruce isn't looking! Sounds fun. Thanks for the review. You're pretty darn good at that. Hugs!

Southhamsdarling said...

Bouncin'Barb - yes, you sneak it in there, because I think you would enjoy it! I'm going to have to look up Netflix on Google, because several people have mentioned it. Hugs back to you as well dear friend.